To start creating shaders with Unity’s Shader Graph, it’s necessary to follow a few steps and setup a project correctly, supporting the new render pipelines.
- Make sure your project’s version is 2018.1 or above, or create a new one. I’m going to create a new project with the version 2018.2.0f1
I’m also ignoring the “template”, we’ll add the new render pipelines manually.
- Install the render pipeline you prefer from the package manager. I’ll install the lightweight pipeline.
- Create the pipeline asset (Lightweight or High Definition, depending on what you added), from the project window.
- A lot of people miss this step and see pink materials, but it’s really important: set the scriptable pipeline asset in the graphics settings.
- Check if everything works, by creating a new shader, applying it to a new material and seeing if it’s pink or not. (pink materials means that something went wrong).
Now you can use the new Shader Graph and experiment new shaders!